Pregnancy Mellowed me out

Ever since we announced that we were expecting I have had to listen to all manner of speculations and random bits of advice no matter if I wanted them or not. 

One thing in particular that really annoyed me however, was having to listen to my Husbands friends and friends of friends and work colleagues fill his head with all sorts of horrendous horror stories about how he could expect me to behave over the next 9+ months.  

Now I have to say this did come from both the partnered and single Dads but definitely more so from the single/what I can only presume to be unhappy/bitter Dads.  

This was supposed to be a joyous time in our lives, we were happy and beginning to enjoy the changes in our lives and in my body yet I had to stand by and listen to these speculations. 

Fortunately, I am pleased to say that my wonderful husband defended me greatly (at least whilst I was present) by saying all sorts of wonderful things and dismissing their warnings which I was thankful for as he could have scoffed and laughed along with their dire and overdramatic warnings. 

The main reasons that these depressing warnings offended me so was that 
A) most of these (presumed) unhappy people barely know me. 
b) They do not know what our relationship is like and considering a large proportion of them are no longer in a relationship with their baby mummas I can only presume that it was not a pleasant relationship to start off with. 
c) They are assuming that all women are the same and handle their hormones in exactly the same way. 
d) They were potentially tainting my husbands feelings about this happy time and possibly filling his head with extra worries. Because even though he defended me so honourably you never know how much things can subliminally sink in. 

Now I don't know how much notice my husband had taken of these miserable tales but I certainly spent a large proportion of my early pregnancy being terrified that I would suddenly go crazy and hurl my tea cup at my husbands head at any given moment or insist that he move out and never return in the midst of a heated argument.  

Of course these explosions of emotion failed to arrive because our relationship is just not like that and I am just not that sort of person. Sure we had some bizarre days of crying for no reason or breaking down because I did not know what to eat/ was too tired to physically feed myself and we definitely had the odd argument and stand off but in no way did I turn into the predicted insanely irrational ice maiden with a penchant for throwing things in the general direction of my husband. 

In fact, on the contrary, I found that after the turbulent emotional roller coaster of the first few months pregnancy has in fact mellowed me out. I have hardly felt my anxiety at all in the past few months and aside from still randomly crying intermittently, for no particular reason and getting sad about food or worried about the baby I have been generally relaxed and peaceful.  

In fact over the last few months of my pregnancy I have felt positively earth mother. Sure the clumsiness of my early pregnancy has returned along with my trusty pregnancy brain- cakes baked without sugar, crisps in the fridge, museli in a glass- not to mention sleepless nights and continuous trips to the toilet in the dark BUT I feel pretty great. 

In fact I have felt so good that I am actually beginning to worry about how not being pregnant is going to make me crazy! I am dreading a return to being continuously offered anxiety inducing contraceptive pills, handling my irregular and hormonal periods and generally being the predicted pregnancy crazy lady...post pregnancy.

Watch this space and cross everything that I can cling onto the calm Earth Motherness I have gained! 

(I would like to thank the small handful of people that provided us with only positive and happy thoughts about our impending parenthood and pregnancy journey, sometimes you just need to experience things for yourself without a warning!) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A 3am thought: Anxiety and our healthcare system

Pregnancy: Labour